The Late Late Toy Show has come and gone for another year and by now every home across Ireland has their Christmas Tree up and beautifully decorated. With all the twinkling lights its important to stay safe by following our top 5 Electrical Safety Tips:
- Buy a fire-resistant tree: If you have an artificial tree make sure to check that its fire resistant. This doesn’t mean the tree won’t catch fire, but it will resist burning and can be extinguished quickly if it does catch fire.
- Check your lights: Make sure you look for frayed wires or cracked cords. If you find that your lights have some damage, throw them out. You don’t want your lights to short and cause a fire.
- Place outdoor lights outdoors: This one may seem like a no brainer, but if you plan to hang lights outside, they need to be designed specifically for the outdoors. Retailers sell lights designed to handle inclement weather outdoors, while indoor lights could be damaged by snow or rain and pose an electrical hazard if used outside.
- Use insulated hooks: Hanging lights with nails, tacks or screws can pierce the cable on a string of lights. Instead, hang your lights with insulated hooks to avoid any electrical emergencies.
- Keep an eye on extension cords: Make sure your extension cords don’t overheat. Every once in a while just touch the cord to measure its temperature. If it’s hot, unplug it.
Look what we’ve done… we’ve added in an EXTRA tip which is most IMPORTANT!!!
NB: Turn off the lights: You shouldn’t leave your Christmas lights on all the time. Not only does it add up on you electricity bill, it’s also a safety issue. This holiday season make sure you unplug the lights whenever you’re not home or sleeping.
Stay Safe and Have A Wonderful Christmas.